In the Name of Allâh, the Most
Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
1. By the heaven, holding the big stars .
2. And by the Promised Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection);
3. And by the witnessing day (i.e. Friday), and by the
witnessed day [i.e. the day of 'Arafât (Hajj) the
ninth of Dhul-Hîjjah];
4. Cursed were the people of the ditch (the story of the
Boy and the King).
5. Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel,
6. When they sat by it (fire),
7. And they witnessed what they were doing against the
believers (i.e. burning them).
8. They had nothing against them, except that they believed
in Allâh, the All-Mighty, Worthy of all Praise!
9. Who, to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and
the earth! And Allâh is Witness over everything.
10. Verily, those who put into trial the believing men
and believing women (by torturing them and burning them), and
then do not turn in repentance, (to Allâh), will have the
torment of Hell, and they will have the punishment of the burning
11. Verily, those who believe and do righteous good deeds,
for them will be Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise). That
is the great success.
12. Verily, (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) the Grip (Punishment)
of your Lord is severe.
13. Verily, He it is Who begins (punishment) and repeats
(punishment in the Hereafter) (or originates the creation of everything,
and then repeats it on the Day of Resurrection).
14. And He is Oft-Forgiving, full of love (towards the
pious who are real true believers of Islâmic Monotheism),
15. Owner of the throne, the Glorious
16. He does what He intends (or wills).
17. Has the story reached you of the hosts,
18. Of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and Thamûd?
19. Nay! The disbelievers (persisted) in denying (Prophet
Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and his Message of Islâmic
20. And Allâh encompasses them from behind! (i.e.
all their deeds are within His Knowledge, and He will requite
them for their deeds).
21. Nay! This is a Glorious Qur'ân,
22. (Inscribed) in Al-Lauh Al-Mahfûz (The