In the Name of Allâh, the Most
Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
1. Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all
2. Has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated
3. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous,
4. Who has taught (the writing) by the pen [the first person
to write was Prophet Idrees (Enoch) <><>],
5. Has taught man that which he knew not.
6. Nay! Verily, man does transgress all bounds (in disbelief
and evil deed, etc.).
7. Because he considers himself self-sufficient.
8. Surely! Unto your Lord is the return.
9. Have you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) seen him (i.e.
Abû Jahl) who prevents,
10. A slave (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) when he prays?
11. Tell me, if he (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) is on
the guidance (of Allâh)?
12. Or enjoins piety?
13. Tell me if he (the disbeliever, Abû Jahl) denies
(the truth, i.e. this Qur'ân), and turns away?
14. Knows he not that Allâh does see (what he does)?
15. Nay! If he (Abû Jahl) ceases not, We will catch
him by the forelock,
16. A lying, sinful forelock!
17. Then, let him call upon his council (of helpers),
18. We will call the guards of Hell (to deal with him)!
19. Nay! (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him))! Do not obey
him (Abû Jahl). Fall prostrate and draw near to Allâh!